This post may contain affiliate links. For more info, visit the disclosure page.
There are literally hundreds of WordPress form builder plugins available for you to choose from. If you’re stuck on which one to use, this list of best form builder plugins for WordPress is all you need.
In this list, I’m going to evaluate and show you 10 of the absolute best plugins you can use to build contact forms, survey forms, optin forms and more for your WordPress website.
Most of the options here are either free or have a free (Lite) version that you can use. I’ll also give you the pricing options which will unlock premium features for any plugin with a subscription.
Note that this list is relevant for 2024 and does not have outdated or discontinued plugins like some lists I found while researching options for this post.
Before I get into the list, here are some things you should look for when choosing a form builder plugin.
What To Look For When Choosing A Form Builder Plugin
Any old WordPress form builder plugin wouldn’t do. As an example, one of the oldest and most popular contact form plugin for WordPress is Contact Form 7.
Contact Form 7 isn’t very user-friendly and does not have a lot of templates to choose from. It should be avoided. However, many newbies searching for a contact form plugin come across this and look at the popularity and think it’s a good choice.
If you’re evaluating form plugins, here are some things to look for to ensure you’re making a good choice.
All the plugins mentioned in this post check all the boxes above.
1. WP Forms
With over 5 million active installations according to the WordPress plugin repository, WP Forms is certainly one of the most popular WordPress form plugins.
The plugin currently maintains a high 4.9 star rating out of 5 from over 11000 raters which says a lot about it’s quality as a form plugin.
WP Forms is a freemium form plugin with it’s Lite version available for free to everyone from the WordPress repository. This lite version is great for contact forms and other simple forms. You can get more complex forms and functionality by purchasing one of the paid plans which starts at $31.60 for the first year.
I personally use WP Forms on all of my websites because it is easy to use and deploy forms. It works well for what I need it to do. The plugin is very beginner friendly and has all the features a good form plugin should have as outlined in the section above.
Here’s a breakdown of what WP Forms can do.
WP Form Features
WP Forms has a lot of great features, functionality and can do everything you need it to do when it comes to creating forms.
- Drag and drop form builder – easily build forms without having to do any coding
- Over 300 form templates – prebuilt form templates save you time and you can find almost every type of form template you’ll need. Surveys, registrations, newsletter, payment forms, contact forms and more.
- Mobile responsive – forms look great on any device and adapts to smartphones, tablets, desktop views.
- Spam protection – prevent bots from filling your forms and sending you spam using smart captcha and honeypot solutions.
- Smart conditional logic – create high performance forms that adapt to user input
- Multi-page forms – split long forms into multiple pages to improve uses experience
- File upload – lets users upload various media files including images, pdf and more within their submissions.
- Addons and integrations – easily works with and integrates into various other SaaS products including PayPal, Stripe, Square and Authorize.net to collect payments, various email automation services like Constant Contact, Aweber, GetResponse, Mailchimp and more. Also integrates with Zapier to connect to over 400 other web apps.
- Webhooks – allows you to send form entries to any external tools and services without the need to write code.
These are just some of my favorite features of WP Forms but there are a lot more great useful features available than what are mentioned here.
Why Use WP Forms
WP Forms is a very robust, feature rich form plugin that is very easy to use. You can drag and drop the elements in the form builder interface or use a pre-made template.
Then when you’re ready to add the form to your website, you can either use a shortcode or add a WP Forms block if you’re using the Gutenberg block editor. Having a block makes it easy to add any forms you create to your website.
Depending on which WordPress theme you’re using, some developers even add WP Forms as a required plugin which works with their theme. This was the case with the Blocksy theme that I’m currently using and many others choose WP Forms as well so that you can easily create your contact page.
WP Forms is a great choice because you can use it for free, it’s beginner friendly and you can build any type of form you require without the need to know any code.
Formidable Forms is another great choice when you want to build forms for your WordPress website. There’s a free version that you can install from the WordPress repository and there’s a pro version that has even more features and templates.
To get started with the free version, you need to register with your email address in exchange for 10 form templates which you can use to create contact forms, event planning forms, and more.
The plugin is very easy to use with a drag and drop interface and lots of field you can just click on to add. I found WP Forms to be more beginner friendly than Formidable Forms but you can easily get a hang of things after playing around with it for a while.
There are a number of tiered plans when you upgrade to the pro version of Formidable Forms and the pricing is very similar to WP Forms with a discount in the first year starting at $39.50 for the Basic plan. Each tier unlocks new features and increases the number of templates you have access to.
Formidable Form Features
This WordPress form plugin is very feature rich with lots of advanced features that will allow you to build very complex forms.
Here are some of the features that show what Formidable Forms can do.
- Drag and drop builder – easily build forms without knowing how to code.
- Form styler – no need to play with CSS, you can easily style your forms to fit your branding or page.
- Display data – display data you collect in your WordPress dashboard or on the frontend to provide solutions.
- File uploads – upload multiple media files including images, music, documents, videos and more.
- Multi-step forms with progress bar – increase conversions with multi-step forms that have progress indicators
- Smart conditional logic – lets you display or hide form fields depending on user input.
- Spam protection – automatically get rid of spam with invisible spam protection from Google reCaptcha, honeypot, and more.
- Calculator forms – great for mortgage calculators, pricing estimates, quotes etc.
- Integrations – integrates with a number of other tools for payments (PayPal, Stripe etc) and email automation (MailChimp, Aweber, Getresponse etc).
There are so many features available in Formidable Forms which you may or may not need. Different pricing tiers allow you to choose which features you’ll need for your business.
Why Use Formidable Forms?
What I like most about Formidable Forms is that you can not only collect the data but you can also display it to view in your dashboard or on the front end. This allows you to collect data that creates solutions such as job boards, directories, ratings and review systems and more. Most other WordPress form plugins just let you collect data on the backend.
The form styler is another great feature that allows you to customize the look and feel of your form without having to play with CSS although you can do that as well.
Formidable Forms is a very feature-rich plugin that lets you build any type of form and use the data to provide solutions. You can get it for free with limited templates and features or get one of the pro plans to do even more.
3. Ninja Forms
Ninja Forms is another popular freemium WordPress forms plugin that lets website owners easily create many different types of forms.
The free version of Ninja Forms can be found in the WordPress repository and has over 1 million active installations. It has a 4.4 star rating from over 1100 raters. This indicates a very high quality plugin.
Ninja Forms is very easy to use and as with all of these top form builders, it has a drag and drop builder and is very beginner friendly. You can install the plugin and have a form up without doing too much else.
The free plugin allows you to build a number of forms including contact forms, GDPR request forms, job application forms, questionnaires and more either from scratch or with a simple premade template.
Ninja Forms premium plans include addons that give the plugin additional functionality for more advanced forms. You can also purchase addons separately depending on your needs. Plans start at $49/year for the first year for the Basic plan and renews at the normal price of $99/year.
Ninja Forms Features
To add more functions to Ninja Forms you can purchase various addons or upgrade to a membership plan that comes with various addons.
Here are some of the features you can find in Ninja Forms. Some of these features require addons.
- Drag and drop form builder – beginner friendly and easy to use form builder.
- Form layouts and styles – easily design forms and style them without CSS. Build the forms the way you want them to look.
- File uploads – allow user to upload various media including documents, images, videos and more. Control which types of files and size.
- Conditional logic – forms can hide or add fields depending on user input.
- Multi-step forms – boost conversions with multi-step forms that have breadcrumbs or progress bars and more.
- Save progress – allow users to save incomplete forms so they could return and fill them later on.
- Collect payments with payment integrations – connect PayPal Express, Stripe, Elavon
- Email marketing integrations – get subscribers with addons for Mailchimp, Aweber, Constant Contact, Convertkit, Active Campaign and more.
- Zapier integrations – integrate with over 4000 apps through Zapier if there isn’t already a Ninja Forms integration.
- Frontend posting – allow users to publish content by submitting it through a form.
Ninja Forms earns a top spot here because it is so packed with features but very easy to use.
Why Use Ninja Forms?
Ninja Forms is very beginner friendly and you can drag and drop field to build a complete form then publish it to your website without needing much help.
There are a lot of features in this robust but light weight form plugin but you have to add them via addons when you need them. Simple forms do not need much but more complex forms can be handled with the right membership plan.
If you just need a simple contact form for your website, Gravity Forms may not be the ideal solution because there is no free version. Gravity Forms is a premium-only WordPress form plugin only available through their website.
Though there is no free version, Gravity Forms gets top ratings because it is super easy to use and has a lot of very useful features comparable to other top form plugins on this list.
You can register to get a demo of the plugin if you would like to try it out before you make a purchase. The helpful demo is available for 7 days from the time you register and you can browse and edit sample forms and use all the features Gravity Forms has to offer.
Gravity Forms pricing starts at $59/year for a basic license. The other pricing options gives access to more addons and use on more websites.
Gravity Forms Features
Gravity Forms has lots of built in features and also powerful addons to extend it’s functionality. There are also a good bit of third party addons from the Gravity Forms community some of which you can find in the WordPress repository.
Here’s a look at some of Gravity Forms best features.
- Drag and drop form builder – dead simple to build forms without any coding knowledge
- Fully responsive forms – adapts to and looks great on any device
- Paginated forms – break long forms into multiple pages with pagination and progress bars
- Conditional logic – display and hide fields based on user input
- Foreign language support – Forms inherit the language set in your WordPress general settings.
- Partial entries – capture data from partially completed and abandoned forms
- File uploads – allows uploading of files and attachments.
- Payment processor integrations – integrates with Stripe, PayPal and more to collect payments.
- Email marketing integrations – integrates with Active Campaign, Aweber, Constant Contact and more to capture and manage leads.
- Anti-spam – use honeypot, Google reCaptcha and Akismet to stop bots from filling forms.
You can check out more features and addons by going to the Gravity Forms website or by simply trying the demo which includes everything in the Elite plan.
Why Use Gravity Forms?
The only con of Gravity Forms is that there is no free version that you can use to create simple forms. Besides that, they’re a very good choice if you want to build any type of forms for your website.
The form builder is simple enough to use for any beginner. Just give the demo a go and decide if you want to go with Gravity Forms. Plans start at $59/year and renew at that same price. The Elite version which includes everything costs $259/year, less than half of what other premium plugins charge for their full featured and unlimited license plans at renewal.
5. Happy Forms
HappyForms is another great WordPress form plugin that has a free plugin and a premium plugin available. You can get started with the free plugin by downloading it from the WordPress repository.
HappyForms was developed by Theme Foundry which is a WordPress themes developer so it is no surprise that they approached the form building process in a much different way from other form builders. Instead of a drag-and-drop approach, HappyForms use the WordPress customizer to build and customize forms.
The free version is very limited in what it can do compared to others on this list. It doesn’t have many pre-built form templates to work with. However, you can build any form from scratch by adding available fields.
The premium version of HappyForms has a 7 day free trial you can start with before you pay for a plan. Plans start at $53.80 for one website but you can free trial the BigWig plan which gives you unlimited use and has all the features and downgrade at any time.
HappyForms has lots of great features that make it a great option to consider among the other plugins on this list.
Here’s a list of some of those great features.
While the free version of HappyForms has limited features, the paid versions have a lot of great features. You can still use the free plugin to create a simple contact form for your website but you’ll get the most benefits from the paid version.
Here are some of the best HappyForms features:
- Mobile responsive forms – looks great and adapts to any device
- Gutenberg ready – easily insert form into any page using HappyForms block
- Multi-page forms – break up longer forms into pages for easy completion
- Conditional logic – automatically hide or show fields based on user input
- Anti-spam – filters spam using Google reCaptcha and honeypot
- File upload – allow users to upload files and submit with form
- Save incomplete form data – save data from abandoned forms
- Payment processor integrations – integrates with PayPal, Stripe and more for payment forms
- Email marketing integrations – integrates with Aweber, MailChimp, SendinBlue and more for lead capture forms
- Zapier integrations – connects with over 4000 web apps through Zapier
- Form redirect – redirect user to another page after form submission
HappyForms is constantly adding new features. I’ve been on their email list for a while now and I’m always getting an email about a new feature or features they added.
Why Use HappyForms?
You may have more reasons to use a lot of the other free plugins on this list but make no mistake – HappyForms is a solid form builder plugin.
Their use of the WordPress customizer for building forms means you’ll get to use an interface that you’re already familiar with. This is different to the drag-and-drop interface of many of the other plugins which can be a plus or minus depending on perspective or choice.
HappyForms has all the features that you’ll need to create forms and they’re always adding more. Their pricing isn’t too bad either and you get to try any of the plans for 7 days before you commit.
Everest Forms is another easy to use free WordPress forms plugin that also has a paid version for more advanced features and addons.
You can install the free version from the WordPress repository and get started with a simple pre-made contact form. I installed the plugin and was able to add a contact form to my contact page in under a minute using the block editor.
To add and build forms the plugin has a few free templates and previews some of the other good looking templates available with a paid plan. The interface looks really great and is a drag-and-drop interface with big field icons. It is very user-friendly.
Upgrading from the free plugin to a paid plan gives you access to addons to make even more advanced forms. Plans start at $69/year with a discount for the first year. Each plan can also be bought at as a one time purchase instead of a subscription with their Lifetime membership.
Everest Forms Features
The free version of Everest Forms is quite sturdy on its own but the paid version is also packed with features.
Here’s a look at what you can get with Everest Forms.
- Drag-and-drop form builder – easily create forms without knowing code
- Multi-page forms – break longer forms into pages for better user experience
- Conditional logic – hide or display fields based on user input
- File upload – users can upload and attach different file types to forms
- Spam protection – Use honeypot and Google reCaptcha to block spam bots
- Style customizer – add backgrounds, fonts and more to style and customize forms
- Payment processor integrations – integrates with PayPal and Stripe to collect payments
- Email marketing integrations – integrates with email marketing providers like Active Campaign, MailChimp and more.
- Zapier integration – connect with over 4000 web apps by integrating with Zapier
- Geolocation – autofills address field and more based on users geo-detected location
- Save & continue – allows user to fill part of form and return later to complete
You can check out the Everest Forms website to see all the features and addons they offer.
Why Use Everest Forms?
Everest Forms with it’s drag-and-drop interface and easy to use form builder is as beginner friendly as it gets. If you just need a simple contact form, you don’t even have to do much other than install the plugin and add the pre-made form to your contact page.
The plugin has many features and addons that let you build any type of form you can imagine. And you can choose between a subscription pricing or a one time fee when getting the paid version of Everest Forms.
7. Kali Forms
Kali Forms is a freemium drag-and-drop WordPress forms plugin that is very easy to use. After you download the free version from WordPress, you can set up your form in seconds by inserting the shortcode for the default contact form. The description in the repository says you get a form block but I couldn’t find it after a search to add the block.
Kali Forms provides an impressive free plugin with a couple of templates to start with. The form builder interface is one of the best I’ve seen. There are panels for checking notifications and adjusting settings plus links for checking entries.
The premium version of Kali Forms is even more powerful with premium only features provided using extensions.
The pricing is perfect for anyone on a budget with the Starter plan at $29/year and the full featured Agency plan costing $89/year. There are probably some features that aren’t available when compared to other plugins but still a very powerful form builder.
Kali Forms Features
Here are some of the features Kali Forms provides.
- Drag-and-drop builder – easily create forms without coding
- Conditional logic – hide or display form fields based on user input
- Multi-page forms – break up longer forms into multiple pages to increase conversions
- Mobile responsive – forms look great on any device – smartphone, tablet or desktop
- Spam protection – automatically get rid of bot spam with reCaptcha and Akismet
- Google Analytics integration – track user behavior in your forms
- Payment processor integration – collect payments using your forms with Stripe and PayPal integrations.
- Email marketing integrations – Collect newsletter signups with integrations for email marketing services like Getresponse, MailChimp, ConvertKit and more.
- Digital signature – add a digital signature to your forms
I didn’t see any Zapier integration but Kali Forms is still relatively new and improving, adding more features to satisfy customer needs.
Why Choose Kali Forms?
Kali Forms has great pricing with a full featured Agency plan costing just $89/year. Compare that to other plugins that cost $599/year for their full featured plan.
You wouldn’t get every feature available in other plugins which is why Kali Forms isn’t higher on the list but it’s still a great free and paid plugin for building simple and more advanced forms.
Forminator is a free WordPress forms plugin from WPMU DEV. You can use it to create simple contact forms, quizzes and polls as well as payment forms and more. You can start from scratch or use one of the six templates provided to create your forms.
Forms are created using a drag-and-drop interface and you can style and design your forms using the custom styler or with CSS.
You can do a lot of things with Forminator’s free plugin that would require a paid upgrade in most other form plugins. For example, Forminator lets you collect payments via Stripe and PayPal without the need to pay for their pro version of the plugin. This is probably why they’re highly rated with a 4.8 out of 5 star rating from over 900 raters.
The pro version of the plugin is available with a 7-day free trial to start and then $7.50/month (billed annually) on their basic plan. The pro plan is only available with a WPMU DEV membership which means you’ll get access to their entire suite of plugins.
Forminator has a lot of value as a free plugin and you may find that you don’t even need to upgrade to the pro version once the plugin does what you want it to do.
Here are some of the features you’ll find in Forminator.
- Drag-and-drop builder – easy form building without knowledge of code
- Conditional logic – set rules to hide and show forms based on user input
- Multi-step forms – break up long forms into multiple pages for easier conversions
- Spam protection – enable honeypot, reCaptcha or Akismet to fight automated spam
- Polls & Quizzes – dedicated management for polls and quiz forms and submissions
- Zapier integrations – integrates with over 4000 web apps using Zapier
- Payment processor integrations – collect payments via your forms using PayPal or Stripe
- Email marketing integrations – collect leads and signups with integrations for various email marketing services like MailChimp, Hubspot, Aweber and more
- Front end posting – add forms to accept front end submissions like guest posts and more
- Form styler – design and style forms to match your branding without using CSS. Custom CSS is also available.
The pro plugin has advanced features for collecting recurring subscriptions via Stripe and also the e-signature form field just to name a couple. Pros biggest benefit is access to the entire WPMU DEV suite as well as priority support.
Why Use Forminator?
Forminator is a very powerful plugin that has a lot of premium features for free. If you’re on a budget and want a sturdy free plugin that can handle contact forms, quizzes and polls as well as payments and email marketing integrations then Forminator is the one.
You can try any plan of Forminator Pro for 7 days before you start paying. This way you can compare the value offered by both free or paid versions or take advantage of any paid feature your business needs.
weForms is another great freemium forms plugin for creating many types of WordPress forms. It features a great drag-and-drop form builder and it’s own Gutenberg block so that you can easily add the forms anywhere on your website.
The free version can be found in the WordPress repository where it has just 30,000 active installations. It maintains a 4.6 out of 5 star rating from over 100 raters.
After installing the free plugin, I was able to set up the default contact form within seconds without having to edit anything. The form builder features a great looking interface with the preview on the left and the fields on the right ready to drag and drop wherever you want them.
The integrations panel allows you to quickly add some free addons and premium ones as well if you’re using the paid version of the plugin.
The paid version of weForms is available on their website and starts at a discounted $49/year (normally $89/year). Pricing renews at the normal rate.
weForms Premium adds features not available in the free plugin and each plan lets you use the plugin on more websites. The unlimited, full featured Developer plan will cost you about $400/year but is discounted to $249 for the first year.
Here are some of the key features of weForms.
- Drag-and-drop form builder – easily create forms without any coding knowledge
- Anti-spam – use reCaptcha and Human Presence integration to filter and get rid of spam
- File upload – allow users to upload a number of file types with their form submissions
- Entry restrictions – perfect for forms like event registrations, you can set a maximum form registration limit to restrict the number of individual submissions.
- Mobile responsive – forms adapt to any device and looks great on mobile as well as desktop
- Form redirection – redirect users to any page after form submissions
- Conditional logic – set rules to hide or show form fields based on user input
- Email marketing integrations – integrate with major email marketing services to collect leads and newsletter signups – MailChimp, Aweber, Getresponse, Convertkit etc
- Payment integrations – collect payments with PayPal & Stripe
- CRM integrations – manage customer relationships with popular CRM tools like Hubspot, Zoho and Salesforce
- Zapier integration – connect with over 4000 web apps through Zapier integrations.
weForms is packed with features and lets you make unlimited forms on any plan, free or paid.
Why Use weForms?
weForms is a beginner-friendly form creation plugin for WordPress. The free plugin is very powerful and can be used to create simple contact forms and a number of other helpful forms. There is a lot of value provided in the free plugin alone.
You’ll get even more functionality with the paid version. Tiered plans add more advanced features and integrations. You can choose the desired plan depending on what you need.
10. Fluent Forms
Rounding out the list is Fluent Forms which is another great free WordPress forms builder with a pro version.
The free version of Fluent Forms can be found in the WordPress repository and has over 200,000 active installations. It can be used to create any type of form from a blank template or use any of the pre-made templates that come with the plugin. There are many available with the free version and more that can only be unlocked with a pro upgrade.
You can access their pro upgrade from their website where plans start at $59/year for a single site license and $199/year for an unlimited license. There is also a Lifetime option that goes up to $899 for unlimited use.
Fluent Forms has an easy to use drag-and-drop interface where you can build and preview your forms by adding the available fields. Some of the features and integrations are locked and can only be unlocked with a pro upgrade. However, there is still a lot of value in the free plugin. You can still use it for contact forms and whatever free templates are available.
Fluent Forms Features
Fluent Forms is a very powerful form builder plugin whether you’re using the free or paid version. Here are some of the features available.
- Drag-and-drop form builder – easy to use and beginner friendly
- Conversational forms
- Conditional logic – display and hide fields based on user input
- Payment integrations – collect payments and donations with Stripe and PayPal integrations.
- Email marketing integrations – create signup forms for use with Getresponse, Moosend, SendinBlue, ActiveCampaign and more.
- Anti-spam – use honeypot, reCaptcha and hCaptcha to prevent spam and abuse
- Zapier and webhooks support – push your form data to any web API endpoint and connect with thousands of apps.
- File uploads – allow users to upload files with their form submissions.
The free version of Fluent Forms is one of the most feature packed free form plugins available with many features that are only available with pro in other form builders.
Why Use Fluent Forms?
If you’re looking for a great free plugin with lots of premium features, consider using Fluent Forms. Pro only adds even more great integrations and tools but depending on what you would like, you might just get it for free.
There are lots of other great WordPress form builder plugins that didn’t make this list. However, this is a very good selection of the best form builders available that can do the job for free and add even more cool features with a paid plan.
I personally love the #1 choice here – WP Forms and use it for all my websites. I don’t use a lot of forms though as my business does not require a lot of forms. Depending on the type of business you run, you may need a lot of other features that may require different solutions and budgets. Go through the 10 options here and you’re sure to find one of these fantastic plugins is the one that you need.